Here are our Top Ten Tips in honor of Misfit Sock Day to help Leaders, Parents, Volunteers and adults in the community to stop bullying from occurring within their troops and schools!
Top Ten Tips
- Always keep the lines of communication open: Sometimes spending 15 minutes a day talking can reassure kids that they can talk to their parents or leaders if they have a problem.
- Help girls understand bullying. Talk about what bullying is and how to stand up to it safely. Tell kids bullying is unacceptable. Make sure kids know how to get help.
- Encourage girls to do what they love. Special activities, interests, and hobbies can boost confidence, help kids make friends, and protect them from bullying behavior.
- When rumors and language are addressed immediately, you stop most bullying.
- Realize that bullying doesn’t just take place at school, camp or at other youth groups. Cyberbullying is a huge problem in today’s world. Teaching girls to “Take 5!” before responding to something they encounter online is a good place to start. Jokingly, tell them to “Drop the Mouse! And step away from the computer and no one will get hurt!” then encourage them to find ways to help them calm down. This may include doing yoga, running, playing catch or taking a bath.
- Start young; kids do what works and bullying behaviors start early and young.
- Model how to treat others with kindness and respect. Kids learn from adults’ actions. By treating others with kindness and respect, adults show the kids in their lives that there is no place for bullying.
- Girls tend to bully friends who are part of their social infrastructure upon which they depend. Help them to value and reinforce friendships.
- Appreciate and applaud pro-social behaviors each time you see them.
- Ask your girls about the bullying behaviors they see and what actions they would use to address the problem then let them.
Million Misfit Sock March!
Celebrate our differences and take a stand against bullying by wearing mismatched socks for “National Make a Difference Weekend.”
Million Misfit Sock March – TODAY IN MURRIETA
We are all different, but sometimes our differences can make us feel like we don’t fit in or don’t matter, especially when we are bullied because of those differences. Help inspire yourself and others to embrace the inner, unique and special misfit and wear the perfect pair of misfit socks.
Invite your troop, friends, family, church family, youth groups and neighbors to wear their own misfit socks that day and donate to our sock drive.
Please bring as many new or almost new socks to this sock drive. Help those “in need” warm this coming winter.
This is a DROP-IN EVENT any time between 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
ADDRESS: 26855 Jefferson Ave., Ste B, Murrieta, CA 92562 United States